Sunday, October 9, 2016

Joy Ashton       Written     October 3, 2016           
                                                                       



This week was a little bit of a crazy one. We had a lot of fun with one of the actividades in the ward. One of the things that they do every week is a ward family home evening where one of the organizations takes charge to prepare something and then they have games and a snack after. Here in El Salvador they play hot potato but when someone lands with the potato, the people put paint on their faces. It is pretty fun. La papa se quema. 

We also had the Dia de Niños this week. That is a holiday here which is so weird. We played games with the kids in our zone like jump rope, jumping in sacks to the finish line, la papa se quema, water balloons, they had a piñata and happily it was really fun! I was afraid when it was time to start and not a soul was there, but half an hour later everyone started to arrive. Hermana Jara y yo got painted pretty well.

This week was also CONFERENCIA!!!!!!!!! I was so happy when I got to watch the Saturday en Ingliesh because the first session was sooooooo powerful!!! I wrote down everything because I didn’t want to forget! Wow! It was soooooo awesome! Before this conference I have been thinking that we should teach the plan of salvation more because it really is what has helped me in my life to know about who I am. When Elder Uchdorf talked about this it was a confirmation that the spirit had been telling me all along. I also loved the talk about the missionary in Cuzco and how his prayer was "Heavenly Father, help me" because I believe that that prayer is the most sincere that a person can say. In those moments of complete weakness and complete sincerity, "padre, ayudame" is all we have to say. We teach our investigatores about prayer and they are all afraid to say one, but we explain that it doesn’t matter how long or how short. Heavenly Father wants to hear from his kids. Us. I told this story to one of our investigators, not about Cuzco, but the experience that I had when I said, "Heavenly Father help me," and it really changed her view. Prayer is so important. No matter what, we need to say our prayers. I know there are times when we think that we can’t pray, that we think that Heavenly Father won’t listen to us, but I know that he is there and he is listening with all his love. He is ready to help us. He loves us and wants us to be happy. We say our prayers because they will help us in our relationship with God and we will be fortified. 

On Sunday I watched conference in Spanish and it was really good too. One of our investigators, the girl from Japan came. She couldn’t understand very much but she felt the spirit. I was going to watch that session in English but Hermana Jara didn’t want to be left alone with her becuase she can’t understand her Spanish. But I can. Which scares me that my Spanish is also difficult to understand. Haha, but it was good. 


Also, I hope you were all listening to the talk by Elder Oaks. Feel free to give the missionaries references. Give them the name of a neighbor, an acquaintance who lives nearby, really, feel free to help the missionaries out. 

Hermana Ashton

No comments:

Post a Comment