Tuesday, August 2, 2016













Joy Ashton               August 1, 2016

This week we sweat and sweat and sweat and sweat. But, apparently March and April get EVEN HOTTER! Yes!

Oh, but one time when we were not sweating was when it poured…. Buckets.
It was about 5:45 in the evening and we were out walking as usual, when the clouds finally had their fill and couldn’t hold back. First, there was 5 seconds of drizzle and then it was a torrent. The sky was dark and the sheets of rain came down hard. We were on our way to an appointment with our wonderfully excited investigator Hermana Lourdes and it was across our area so we walked through the rain, laughing and enjoying the rivers which were once streets. Honestly, the water was moving fast.  We would step down and the water was up to our ankles. we were completely soaked.
We got to her house and knocked and she was so surprised to see us standing there absolutely dripping. She went away for a little bit and came back with blankets, towels, and dry clothes.  It was very sweet of her, but she had us change right there, so I held a blanket for Hma Jara while she changed into a soccer jersey and tie-dye skirt and she held it for me when I changed into a bright pink Aeropostle shirt and bright yellow skirt. Fue gracioso.

We shared a prayer and a hymn and then we left with the new outfits and the blankets but this time using their umbrellas. We walked home and thought about our clothes that we had left with Hermana Lourdes.

When we got home we made sure that our stuff in our bags (similar to backpacks) was ok and luckily, thanks to my sister Catherine, nothing of mine was wet.  My bag is truly waterproof!
The next day we traded our things back and Hna Lourdes had washed and dried our clothes.  She is the sweetest person.  I really hope that she follows through.  She is so Christlike and excited to learn about the gospel.

Yesterday, she and her son came to church again and we were in a lesson and were asking families if they would share their Liahona magazines with their neighbors and Lourdes volunteered to share the Liahona with her neighbors.  She hasn’t even read one before.  She is so awesome!

We talk to people and one of the things they say is that I’m "chele" which, here, in El Salvador, means really white. I think it is shocking for them. As it is shocking even in the united states to see how white I am, but even more here. I would love to be able to tan, but I will definitely not give up my bloqeador to get color. That is not a risk I am willing to take.

Yes, I eat fried bananas.  And liquified beans, and this week I’ve got my pupusa count up to 15. We eat cereal for breakfast and dinner usually.  I still cannot understand the Hermana who cooks lunch for us… not a word.  Other people I can though.  It is pretty weird how differently everyone speaks.  
Everyone and their dog has a hammock here. There are hooks built into the houses to allow for hammocks. It is so interesting.

I love it here and I am learning poco a poco and I haven’t cried yet.  Is that weird.  I haven’t cried in the hard moments and it is scaring me. I’ve forsaken feeling I guess.

We helped one of our investigatores wash his dog this week.  We traded skirts for a couple of days which was fun to change things up a little. Oh, we finally got to take out the garbage!
We had a mountain of garbage on our back porch waiting for us, but the garbage man doesn’t come every week.  Only once in a while.  So last night when we saw the neighbor’s garbage hanging up, we got excited. now our back porch is icky-free!
And the banana tree has baby green bananas. 

I love you!

I will pray for you if you pray for me ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment